Friday, April 23, 2010

THE GOOD NEWS

The good news today comes from my surgeon who tells me I'm good to go to Jordan in June to see Scott, Suzi and Cooper!  "Just continue to eat a well-balanced diet and do what you are doing."

In my visit with the doctor, we discussed my options for the next 6-12 months. He told me if we did chemo, it would be an aggressive cocktail of 3 drugs and would only extend my life expectancy maybe 12 months with the usual bad side effects of chemo. In the end, it would not cure the cancer and in the last months I would be very sick. 

We have had a family conference and told the doctor that we are choosing "quality of life" over "quantity of life." There will be no treatments just as last year. We need a miracle of God's healing power, so we have chosen to trust Him to do what only He can do.

Most days I am feeling better although my stamina is not up to par yet. I'm still in the process of reeducating what remains of my colon as to how to deal with what I'm eating. 

Last week I taught a 3 hour seminar to ministerial license applicants in Springfield on Thursday evening and took care of Princess Heidi Suzanne for Jaime and Glynnda on Friday and Saturday while they attended the Ladies Seminar.  On Sunday, I preached the morning message, attended the Mother's Memorial fundraiser luncheon and auction, lead the singing and gave the message at Loma Linda Nursing Home, and was in service that evening to support our newly licensed minister as he preached. I did sleep well on Sunday night. 

Monday through Friday, Princess Heidi spends all day with her Papa and Grammie, and I am able to take care of her while Glynnda teaches piano lessons to her thirty plus students.  Heidi is an adorable princess who demands my full attention when I am on duty, and I can't seem to get anything else accomplished.

I thank you all very sincerely for your thoughts and prayers and generous support to me and my family. The outpouring of cards, notes and calls is truly amazing, and we are grateful beyond words.

Blessings,
Vernon McGarvey

2 comments:

  1. Just want you to know I am praying for all of your family. I know how difficult it is to lose a loved one. Who know's maybe God has a miracle for you.
    Love and Prayers
    Ella Langdon

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE and Naylor pentcostal Church are praying for you . Love Bro. Mike Sis. Sharon (Matheny) Hays

    ReplyDelete